Monday, September 10, 2012

Room To Breathe


Days go by and you’re still half a world away,
Before I know it, yesterday turns into today.
I cling to the phone sitting in silence just to hear you breathe,
I know you’re okay; we’ve made it through another day with a little room to breathe.
These letters and these pictures are the only piece of you I have to hold on to,
At times I’m so wrapped up in them my world only has enough room for me and you.
For a few minutes the days of waiting are all worth my while,
And if I close my eyes and just listen, I can actually hear you crack a smile.
We make plans and promises we swear we’ll never break,
We talk about the memories and vows we can’t wait to make,
Somehow we’re still together even though we’re far apart,
The miles don’t matter; distance means nothing between your arms and my heart.
I long for the moments sitting on the phone in silence when I can hear you breathe,
I know you’re okay; we’ve made it through another day with a little room to breathe.
I find it so hard to leave yesterday behind,
Because the seconds feel like days and it’s hard to occupy my mind.
Thoughts of you keep me up in bed at night,
I can’t help but wonder; is it safe where you lay your head tonight?
Are you carrying little pieces of me with you?
Is that enough to get you through?
I just wanna sit on the phone in silence so I can hear you breathe,
I need to know you’re okay; need to know we’ve made it through another day so I can have a little room to breathe.
I need to know we’re still living under the same moon,
It’ll all be over, you’ll come home soon.
Cuz paper hearts they tear; smiles begin to wear.
I need to feel you there; feel my lungs breathe your same air.
I won’t be at peace till you’re with me,
And I won’t sleep till you fill up this empty space next to me.
But for now I’ll hold onto the static laced with the silent sounds you make when you breathe,
For today, I’ll know you’re okay; we’ve made it through another day,
And for a few moments I finally have a little room to breathe.

This intellectual property belongs to Kattie Lindsay. Do not copy, replicate, change this, or claim it as your own. You’re welcome to share this if proper writing credit is given upon doing so.
© Kattie Lindsay 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment