Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Question Religion

Why is it that we, as humans must rely on something with a higher power to feel like our lives are full of purpose? Why is it that, as humans we are bread to believe that in order to have a fulfilling life we have to follow the rules of something unknown? Is it human nature to want to believe that someone else, other than ourselves has control over our destiny, or that we are too afraid of controlling our own destinies? OR, is it human nature to question, and search for answers instead of leaving it up to blind faith? I am not the only person walking this earth to question the meaning of faith, of god, of religion in general. But why, are those who question, looked down upon?


I was born and raised Mormon. I was active in the LDS church from the time I was born until I began to question and find holes in the church around the age of 12. All kids/preteens are curious by nature, but you are taught within the LDS church, as I am sure with every organized religion out there, never to question, just have “faith”. But what is faith exactly? By definition faith is: confidence or trust in a person or thing; belief in God or in the doctrines or teachings of religion; etc. But in reality, not just what is written in the English dictionary, what does it really mean to have faith in anything? I assume that answer is different with each individual. But to me, faith has always been a hard thing to have. I have always been a very logical person. I want the cold hard facts for even the simplest things. But growing up, especially in Utah, I was taught that questioning adults is wrong. Not just about religion, but anything. So as I got older, and I’d like to think, wiser, I began to ask questions. Not just about the LDS beliefs, but just god in general.

Who was he? Where did he really come from? And exactly who was Jesus Christ? Was he really the “son of god”? How did he come from a virgin?! How is it supposed to be possible for god to hear our prayers, along with the possible 6,000,000,000+ people on earth praying to him as well? Or better yet, how does he listen to our inner most thoughts and see our every move? None of these things are scientifically possible. So what the hell is reeeally going on?

I see how you can teach these things to a young child, and make it believable. But yet between the ages of 0-10, 11, 12 (depending on how sheltered our lives were growing up) we are also taught to believe in Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy. But as we get older, we realize the truth, and come to know that these things are simply fictional. So what makes god and religion so different??? Is it because someone wrote a book, the Holy Bible? Or does it come full circle to my first statement, that we are just too scared of controlling our own destiny’s, so we put our lives in “god’s hands” and just hope for the best? Well, if that’s the case you may as well get in your car, put a blind-fold on, get on the nearest freeway, go the wrong way, in reverse, and take your hands off the wheel. You’ll realize you aren’t going to get very far, especially without some serious damage.

But hey, that is just my personal experience. I am still myself, trying to figure these things all the way out. I am not judging anyone who chooses to believe in god, or practice a religion. I am not telling you what to believe in, but I am, and I will, always state my opinion. And thus far, my experience with all of the above has not been so fulfilling, and perfect. I live my life for me. I still have high morals, and goals, and live a great and productive life. I am not denying, nor confirming there is one true god, or one true religion. Because honestly, I have no idea. But at the same time, don’t cast your judgment on me for having questions, and opinions. I can only judge myself, as you can only judge yourself. As Paul McCartney says, “Live and let die”.

No comments:

Post a Comment