We talk in circles; reminiscing about the past and talking about all the places we could’ve gone.
We dance in circles; clinging to hope that there’s a future we can build new dreams on.
You know we could have it all, if the rest of the world would just float away,
You know we could make it, if you could just walk away.
We’ve done this for so long; we’ve been here so many times before.
You hold my heart in your back pocket, and I keep yours in my top drawer.
No one knows our truth, there’s no way they could ever understand…
How the world disappears with just the touch of your hand.
And it’s like a spark that ignites a flame,
The way my heart stops when I hear you say my name.
I don’t wanna be your secret anymore.
You tell me that I deserve so much more,
And you break my heart each time you walk out that door.
I don’t wanna be your secret anymore.
You mean well in all you do; you’re selfless and too loyal for your own good.
You could have so much more; you would have it all if you’d just believe that you could.
I know we made a go at this many years ago, when we were full of innocence and youth,
I know I hurt you, I damaged you; but that was never my intention and that’s the truth.
Time has changed us both, but you still fit me like my favorite old sweater.
If you can trust me, I promise I will love you so much better.
No one knows our truth, there’s no way they could ever understand…
The way you hold me up when I’m too weak to even stand.
And it’s like a spark that ignites a flame,
When you tell me that you still feel the same.
I can’t be your secret anymore.
You and I both deserve so much more.
I know it hurts you just much when you have to walk out that door.
Please tell me, I don’t have to be your secret anymore.
Please don’t keep chasing me unless you’re ready to catch me.
Please don’t tell me you love me, until you’re finally free…
Free to love me openly, free to just let us be.
Free to shed the shame,
And free to declare I am not the one to blame.
You know we’re comfortable together; you still fit me like my old favorite sweater.
Don’t think about the aftermath and the pieces we’ll have to pick up later, let’s just love each other better.
I just wanna love you so much better.
But I can’t do that until I’m not your secrete anymore.
-Kattie Lindsay 12/23/2012
This intellectual property belongs to Kattie Lindsay. Do not copy, replicate, change this, or claim it as your own. You’re welcome to share this if proper writing credit is given upon doing so.
© Kattie Lindsay 2016
No comments:
Post a Comment