Sunday, May 15, 2016

A Sparrow in love with a Hurricane

A Sparrow in Love with a Hurricane 

Darling, I don't think you know how much it hurts to admit that we've been cut from the same fabric; we're burned and frayed.
We're tornadoes; beautiful storms wreaking havoc on all that's in our wake, never sticking it out to clean up the messes we've made.
Wasn't it you that said "love 'em and leave 'em, never let 'em make it out unfazed?
Cause when you're a sparrow in love with a hurricane, you'll never make it out unscathed."
Oh, darling, if you only knew how much I hate myself for becoming you,
I'm doing all the things that you did; the things I swore that I'd never do.
I've become a callous megalomaniac; a ghost to all I've loved and they don't know once I'm gone, I won't be coming back.
Honey, you taught me well and for that I'm not proud.
You sucked me in to this ruthless habituation and like you I've become a destructive storm cloud.
You burned me, you bruised me; I might be stone cold but, still I remain unbroken.
You changed me for the worst--you nearly killed me with all the words you left unspoken.
After you knocked me down and the dust settled, I brushed myself off and stood back up,
I was barely breathing but I learned that I don't need anyone to pick me back up,
Cause when you're a sparrow in love with a hurricane, you can't expect to make it out unscathed.
I did what I needed to do, even if that meant me becoming you.
I'm surviving by doing all that you did; all that I swore I'd never do.
I am a callous megalomaniac, quite like you.
Without a single goodbye, I become a ghost--I'll never be back, just like you.
Don't you worry, darling, I might be burned, I might be bruised, I might be forever changed; still, I remain unbroken.
All of your demons will always look like me,
I will torment you, I will haunt you,
I am your ghost, always following you.
There's no escaping me.
I will remain inside your every single demon.
I will remain your ghost, never completely invisible to you.

This intellectual property belongs to Kattie Lindsay. Do not copy, replicate, change this, or claim it as your own. You’re welcome to share this if proper writing credit is given upon doing so.
© Kattie Lindsay 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment